For impatient macOS users

This isn’t some help request but more a report of setting up Cotangent’s WIN version on a Mac.
Gradientspace announced a macOS version of Cotangent for soon but if you’re that impatient as I were here some comments:

My first attempt was to setup Cotangent on the Bootcamp WIN7 partion on my Mid 2011 IMac. Admit: Old hardware (but as I need WIN not that often any more…). There’s a built in Radeon HD 6770M at 512MB only.
Running Cotangent I found random crashes of my GPU driver. A short WIN message that the graphics driver stopped working and was restarted appeared but after some seconds it ended in a bluescreen.
I searched for this and found there’s an Unity (where Cotangent is built on) issue making older AMD card drivers crashing. Checking available drivers I found at AMD:

“AMD Radeon™ R5 235X, Radeon™ R5 235, Radeon™ R5 230, Radeon™ R5 220, Radeon™â€‹ HD 8470, Radeon™ HD 8350, Radeon™ HD 8000 (​D/G variants), Radeon™ HD 7000 Series (HD 7600 and below), Radeon™ HD 6000 Series, and Radeon™ HD 5000 Series Graphics products have been moved to a legacy support model and no additional driver releases are planned.”

So my “latest” driver for Bootcamp is 9/21/2015 :frowning:
Be aware of crashes using such old hardware drivers. This happens on a “real” WIN PC too.

Next was a setup on a MacBookPro, 2015, Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536MB, Parallels virtual machine.
After giving more than 4MB of RAM to the VM and setting mouse and keyboard to use gaming mode I could run and navigate Cotangent beta 1.03. I didn’t expect full GPU power … and I didn’t expect that after a few seconds being in Cotangent with only the default cylinder loaded cooling vans were blowing as if they were a hairdryer.

So back to my IMac and trying a VMFusion machine here. Here I can give 8GB of RAM to the VM. Also on VMFusion one has to set game mode for the mouse. The cooling issue is better, but not best, here. Also navigating and transform stuff is as if the mouse would stick to chewing gum. But good enough to check out this or that without crashes so far.

Additions welcome!